Baby Growth Tracking

Friday, June 20, 2008

Unconditional

One of the things you come to understand with parenthood is the true meaning of the term "Unconditional Love". It is something we talk about in church constantly, God loving us Unconditionally, and you think you know what it means. But until you have a child and you hold that baby in your arms, I don't think you truly comprehend what it is to truly love unconditionally.

Sure we all love our parents, siblings, spouses. But there is something different about the love for your child. The feeling that no matter what they do they are always utmost in your heart. It is the feeling you occationally get standing over the crib watching the little one sleep and nearly being choked up just looking at this precious little piece of you.

It even changes your perspective on other people's children. My work brings me into contact with a LOT of small children, and what once was something to be tolerated, is now an opportunity to share in the joy of parenthood. Where once I did my best to ignore the crying baby waiting in line, I now find myself engaging with the parents, asking how old the baby is and revelling in their accomplishments with them for the brief time we are together.

There is a book that mommy's parents passed down to her that she read to our little man tonight, and the repeated phrase that a mother sings to her child goes: "I love you forever, I like you for Always, For as Long as I live, my baby you'll be."

Until 11 months ago I would have thought that was kind of cutesy. Now it is touching and meaningful. All because this little child came into my life. Yes, now I know the meaning of Unconditional Love, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about some new photos in the album???

A loyal follower