Baby Growth Tracking

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Belated Update

To Sleep or not to sleep. Mommy and I got a little freaked out this weekend. Aiden actually slept. He took several naps through the day Sunday, and then he slept from about 10:30p-4am. Wow. We’re thankful to get the break. Maybe he is finally turning the corner and ready to sleep a bit more through the night? Then he slept a lot Monday throughout the day, and we start wondering… Why is he sleeping so much? He never sleeps like this. We got ourselves busy with asking what was going on, when, hopefully, he was finally doing what a baby is supposed to be doing at his age.

Well flip the page to Monday night. Not so much luck there. He got his schedule pretty funky and only took about half a bottle between 10-11. He did settle down for a bit, but then he was up at 2. Full bottle at 2, and then he was sleeping but grumpy from about 3:30 on. Oops. It seems we get a lot of these, a good night followed by a really bad one. Not sure why we get these little spurts, but that is sort of the trend we are following.

Aiden’s still smiling and having a good time when he is awake. The hydro cortisone does not seem to be helping the itch on his head a whole lot, and particularly last night I think that was the issue with his sleep, as long as I was rubbing his head he was fine, but as soon as I stopped and tried to go to sleep he would start fussing and itching at his head again. So We’re supposed to try a couple of different shampoos on him and see if that helps. Trial and Error… Trial and Error.

Seems like 3 months ago I was writing about how we couldn’t continue doing this with the sleep issues and needed some definitive answers. 3 months have gone by, and still no solid answers. But we keep trying, and we keep plugging along.

So, I’ve been a little busy for updates of late, and those of you who come daily looking for news, I apologize. Tis the season you know. Although we are not doing much for Christmas, I am hard at work making sure everyone on my list gets a little something from us, and that is taking a lot of my time right now. Of course with it being the Holidays at work, I am also pulling a few more hours than I had been when I started the blog. But after the start of the year we should return to business as usual, and I will try to get more updates in as well as get the newbiedaddy.com website up and running.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH blessed FIVE hours of sleep! In a row! You certainly deserve more of that!

Matthew was born Nov 29th - and *knock on wood* so far we've been able to fight our way through breastfeeding issues (with just a little formula supplement) and the shock of reality of no sleep. I don't think anyone can emphasize enough to an expecting new parent that there is no sleep. Seriously. There's no sleep. Not even the all-nighters at college compare because there was always the occasional sleep all day Sunday. *sigh* Plus, let's face it, we're not as young now. *sigh*

But I'm preaching to the choir here. So... let me introduce a new subject... grandparents. I know that Aiden's grandparents are regular readers of this blog, so this could be a touchy subject, but are you able to comment any on dealing with differences of opinion in child-rearing or other parenting decisions? For example, my parents have made us the laughing stock of the family because we are going to spend Christmas at their house and will be keeping Matthew in the bedroom whilst 30+ friends, relatives and snotty children visit for the annual Christmas party. Anyone wanting to visit and hold him can, of course, but it will be in the bedroom where handwashing and common sense will be enforced. Yes, I am overly protective of him right now. Who wouldn't be? He's tiny and vulnerable and it's my job. SO... I have to put up with the ribbing and snide remarks and people thinking we're insane. A small price to pay I suppose. And a petty gripe at that. But something inside me hoped that my family would escape the generation gap child-rearing issues. At least my mom has refrained from telling me what she *really* thinks about me breastfeeding. (We've had a lot of latching on and milk supply issues and are supplementing sometimes, but fighting through it so far.)

We've truly been blessed with wonderful sons. Our problems are different (Matthew is tiny, tongue-tied and HUNGRY, but no reflux or itching problems), yet we're most likely experiencing a lot of the same emotions... and fatigue! Thank you for maintaining the blog...it's so cool to be able to look into our future this way :-)

Anonymous said...

Ahem. Grandparent present:-)

I'm sure that Mike will feel free to respond, even though he knows I am addicted to this page and the latest info about Aiden.

As a parent/grandparent, I have tried to let Mike and Raquel know that I am merely making suggestions. I have told them they should use what they feel is helpful and discard the rest without hurting my feelings.

As a veteran parent, I am more experienced and want to pass on my 30 something years of wisdom to them. Some things they have actually listened to. Others...not so much. My philosophy is that if I don't say it, they may never think of it. What if it is the magic answer??? Got to tell them, right? But again, they won't hurt my feelings if they don't do it.

Now, as for you wanting to keep your less-than-a-month- old baby away from germy relatives at the time of the year when viruses and infections run rampant? Shame on your parents for making fun! It's not like you are staying away to protect him or enclosing him in a bubble with viewing only privileges. Besides that, what about the over stimulation of that many people, the activity and noise level? Keeping him in the bedroom is a reasonable compromise.

You know, the bottom line is that you are the baby's parent. Nobody else is! I've said this to Mike and I will say it to you, Kinber, "Trust yourself!"

Hopefully, as Matthew grows and thrives, your parents will learn to respect your decisions. We are so happy that Aiden is a happy little fella and that has everything to do with the love and care he gets from his Mommy and Daddy! All the advice in the world didn't do that!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Santa's Dancer. I know that learning to trust myself and the natural maternal instinct is important, but it really means a lot having that advice come from a grandparent. Like Mike and Raquel, we are raising our firstborn at a later stage of life than some. This means that we've had time to prove ourselves through education, careers, and other life experiences. But now we're entering this child-rearing business not as naive, bearly more than teenagers, but as adults who have recently found themselves to be family advice-givers. My parents wouldn't question how we file our taxes or what car we drive...but having a baby has given us a new designation in the family - clueless new parent! I welcome advice and suggestions from our parents, and for the most part they agree with your approach on this (thank goodness). But in addition to trusting myself, I also need to stop being so sensitive to criticism, keeping in mind that it is backed by the 30 something years of experience and wisdom. It may go against all the education and medical research findings we have, but "tried and true" beats out "latest and greatest" too many times to discount.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the typo KiMber :-)

You know, you and Mike are right, things have changed in 30 years. Medicine has come a long way; the internet has given us the ability to research our concerns. But, at the end of the day, what's important is what works for YOUR baby. Your Dr. could be #1 in his/her class at Harvard and grandma could have raised 20 kids of her own. Who's advice is right? The one that works! And that may be just what you do instinctively.

So, my advice to you is listen to all advice with a smile and then pick and chose what sounds good to you. However, advice should be given in a loving spirit. If your parents or anyone else is giving advice" by putting you down, you probably need to have a little talk with them about that.