Baby Growth Tracking

Monday, November 26, 2007

And the Itch just keeps on coming

Tonight's topic. Aiden's poor itchy head. I was at work again this evening but mommy said that Aiden spent a good 45 minutes wailing and going at his head trying to scratch. Poor fella just can't seem to find relief. Momma finally was able to calm him down some by applying a cold cloth to his forehead, but that didn't last too long.

I am starting to wonder if it is something specific to his crib that is bothering him. I had him fast asleep in my arms twice tonight and as soon as I put him in that crib he started grumping. I brought him back into our room, got him to sleep and put him in his bouncer and voila, he's sleeping soundly now.

I don't know if it is the fact that he is sitting more upright and that is good for his belly, or if it has something to do with something in that crib making him itch.

We go to the doctor at 10am tomorrow, and I am just praying that she will have some good answers for us. For a kid who is essentially "healthy" Aiden sure does have a lot of problems. Poor kid.

2 comments:

Blondie Writes - Pamela said...

Great blog. Ii is nice to see a dady writing about his experiences and concerns. Great work.

Anonymous said...

At the risk of offending (you know it's all in fun!)... let me be the one to point out the elephant in the room....
Is it not obvious that Aiden is simply expressing his anxiety over sporting Daddy's hairline???
Just reassure the lad that he is the handsomest baby ever, and the follicle challenge has never posed a problem for Daddy with the ladies... just look at Mommy! Hubba, hubba!!! ;-)

I don't have personal experience, yet, on which to base any advice... but I have been reading a lot lately about fussy babies and the waking up and grumping after being placed in the crib is apparently pretty commonplace. Just the removal of the comfort measures (closeness to you, warmth, motion, white noise, etc) is enough to wake him up and get him going. I've been told swaddling sometimes helps to maintain that feeling of closeness. Several parents have admitted to me that when their baby falls asleep in the infant seat, they leave them there (in the seat on the floor in the nursery) until they wake up. But the most encouraging thing is that this gets better as the baby gets older and develops more "self-calming" skills. So, I guess once again the ultimate cure is patience... which I think they sell on Aisle 9 of the Utopian Baby Boutique... right next to the extra sleep elixir. :-)