Baby Growth Tracking

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Giggling, Cooing, gargling and just basically having a good conversation


Aiden is becoming a lot more vocal the past week or so.

It started with the "bvvvv" noise I mentioned in the three month update, and has moved to all sorts of wonderful coos and gaas and squeels. And once he gets going, he can have a solid 30 minute conversation with himself, or with one of us. We try to repeat back the sound he makes to us. One of the things I have read says that by mimicing the sounds the baby makes, it actually lets them see what their face looks like when they make that sound, so helps with language developement. I'm not sure how true that is, but I'm willing to look silly for Aiden's education, so we'll give it a try.

I try to read a story to Aiden just about every day. They say it doesn't matter what age range the book is for at this point, so long as it has big bold colors and lets the baby hear the inflections of your voice while you read. While we were out waiting for our portraits to be done we went over to a Books-A-Million in the same shopping center and found three new books that we hope Aiden will enjoy. Two of them are texture books, so we hold his hand up to the different fabrics so he can feel texture. Not sure what that is supposed to teach per se, but it is pretty cool, and he seems mystified by it (as long as the tv isn't on).

So I was looking back at some of the content I have put up on this site so far, and I came to a realization that a lot of the stuff from the monthly updates is focusing on the bad or negative parts of being a new dad. That's not the way I see it at all. Being a dad is a great thing. It is trying and frustrating at times, don't get me wrong, but for every sleepless night there is a huge grin that just lights up your whole world. For every crying session because his tummy aches there is a long conversation where he is just enjoying interacting with daddy.

No... The good far outweighs the bad. It is just sometimes the bad is easier to type about. I wouldn't trade the experience in for the world. Now when we talk about having a second child... Well that is going to have to wait awhile. I'd like to get caught up on sleep one of these day.

I was reminded tonight that I need to get out the video camera that was graciously bought for us as a baby gift and start putting together some clips of Aiden doing this wonderful chattering. Because in a couple of months the chattering will have changed and we will miss what he is doing now. So I resolve to take the video camera downstairs with me and work on capturing some of these moments, not just on the digital camera, but on video as well.

Who knows, tomorrow's update might just be a video update. But don't count on it. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a witness via telephone to Aiden's conversation, I can tell you that it is hilarious and oh so sweet! While Mike and I attempted to have our own conversation, Aiden (who hasn't learned the fine art of not interupting) was making all kinds of sounds. And yes, it was Mom that told him to video because I honestly don't remember that stage for Mike or Andy.

I'm also glad to hear that it's worth it because I know it's been hard on all 3 of them. Because they are there every minute of every day, they don't necessarily see the improvements that we who only see them every few weeks see as leaps and bounds.

Now about child #2. Can we get a granddaughter, please?
Hehe.

SciFi Dad said...

At that age, you're looking at one of a few types of books that will enthrall him:

1. Black and white (maybe a touch of red) images, mirrors, and the like - will stimulate him to look and focus.
2. Textured books (as you mentioned) - will encourage him to explore the book with his fingers.
3. Colourful books with repetitive content, either with or without meter.

A few recommendations from my daughter's favourites from that time:

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr. (also, Panda Bear and Polar Bear from the same series)

Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney

Peek A Moo by Maria Cimrusti

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

Mike said...

Thanks for the awesome suggestions scifi dad.

Reading is one of the things I really want to encourage in my children. I read constantly, my wife barely reads at all. I think it is very important to encourage an interest in books early, and really appreciate the experience you shared!